Thursday, April 1

I've been accepted!

You've been warned, this post has nothing to do with Jack, just me :) 

I got my acceptance letter to the respiratory therapy program at Boise State! 

I am now, officially, 2.5 years away from my bachelor of science in respiratory therapy (and minor in Biology). I'm really excited to have this opportunity. The program only accepted 26 students this year. It was rumored that they turned away over 70 applicants - possibly most they've ever had to reject. It feels good to be one of the chosen ones ;)

I've put together some details about respiratory therapy and my plans and goals for the next few years based on the most popular questions I've got from people. 

What does a respiratory therapist do? 
Well, they evaluate, treat, and care for patients with breathing problems. Be it chronic breathing issues such as asthma, bronchitis, or emphysema; heart attack or accident victims; premature infants; and those with long term illnesses like AIDS, cystic fibrosis, and lung cancer. Basically, RTs handle all things lungs & airway. 
They work primarily in hospital intensive care units, including the NICU, and emergency rooms, under the supervision of a doctor, much like a nurse (but better!). There is a growing amount of RTs working in private physicians offices, for medical equipment companies, and for long term care facilities. 

Why did I chose RT?


What will I do now?
 I have 4 semesters (2 years) until I graduate with an associate of science in respiratory therapy. I can then take the national certification exam and, upon passing, become a certified respiratory therapist (CRT). Then I will take two more tests and be a registered respiratory therapist (RRT). I can then get a job as an RT and continue my senior semester at Boise State (all online) for my bachelor of science in respiratory therapy with a minor in biology. 

What will I do after I graduate? 

Work work work. I've been especially fascinated with neonatal/pediatric transport teams. They take the premature babies, sick or injured kids to better equipped & more able hospitals. These types of positions usually require a Neonatal-Pediatric Specialist certification (NPS) and additional life support credentials.

Sounds fun, huh? I think so :)

No comments: