Saturday, May 15

Welcome Scout La Roux


When Jes and I were house hunting, a fenced yard was on our list of must-haves for two reasons. First, Jack could play for hours on end and I wouldn't have to worry about him escaping to the street. Second, I've been asking for a puppy since I was 7 and the rule has always been, "You can have a puppy when we have a fenced in yard."

So when Jes was in the closing process on our house with a fenced yard, I began looking around for a puppy. I found ADORABLE mini Australian Sheppards and was ready to fork over the $500 fee for one of them from the breeder in SLC. A few days after talking around about these puppies I wanted, Jesii had a friend tell her that her yellow lab was expecting puppies. Jes told me about them and I quickly decided that free puppy was better than expensive puppy.
We learned that our puppy would be a Boxador – a hybrid of a boxer and Labrador. The mom (Indie) is pale yellow and Dad (Indie’s owner’s brother’s dog) was a brindle boxer so the pups could end up any color.

The litter was born the first week of April, 7 puppies – 3 girls, 4 boys. They were all black fur balls with some little bits of white on their tummies. Jes went over a few days later to see them and chose Scout because she had a white heart on her chest and two white paws.

We moved in, and waited patiently for our little puppy to be ready to come home. Finally, Jenna (Indie’s mom) said that they were weaned and ready to go home if we were ready to take her. We went on Saturday afternoon to pick her up.

 
Jes was handed Scout and Jax watched the other puppies play in the yard. We were in a rush since Jes had scheduled Scout’s first vet visit for that afternoon . It was probably good because I would’ve taken a puppy home for each of us if I had stood there any longer. They were all so cute!




Scout did not like driving away from her family, or driving in general. She whined all the way to the vet despite our best efforts to reassure her. Jack kept telling us that he just needed to hold her in the back seat.

At the vet, we learned that our new addition weighed in at 6.2 lbs and is perfectly healthy for a 5.5 week old puppy. She was vaccinated and we got a brief rundown of the vaccination schedule and typical behaviors of young puppies. Jax kept his hand on Scout while she was on the table and kept telling her words of encouragement.
“You’re doing great Scout. Such a good doggie. Don’t cry puppy, I’m right here.” He is such a sweetheart, I love it.


 



After the vet, we ran through Starbucks to get us a little treat (Jack gets chocolate milk) to congratulate ourselves on being new puppy-parents. We took Scout home and showed her her new home. Jax and I took her for a walk later and he kept picking her up when she wasn't walking fast enough for his liking. They're BFFs already :)


 

We spent the rest of the weekend out on the patio watching he run around & showing her off to friends and family. She went to a graduation BBQ with Jes & Aubrey’s birthday BBQ with me. Everyone thinks she is just the cutest little thing, especially us :)



No comments: