Jack is going to be Remy the Rat from Ratatouille for Halloween this year.
I found the Disney costume online for $55 dollars + shipping from New Zealand. So I reasoned with myself... buy groceries? or buy costume? I decided on groceries so I then moved on to plan B, which was to make Jack's costume.
My mom made all of our costumes when we were growing up (and we had some cool ones!). So I went to the craft store on Friday night and looked at patterns. I had three options.
The easiest: He could wear a grey sweatsuit and have a tail, ears and mask and carry a wooden spoon. This plan failed when I couldn't find a mask, and I remembered that Jack would just throw the spoon (proof to follow).
The second great idea: Make him Batman. There was a complete toddler Batman costume for $20, but Jack had asked to be Mouse from Mouse Movie.
The final plan: I found the pattern for a mouse ($10). With simple alterations, I could make Jack the rat costume he wanted. So I got grey and pink felt (on sale for $2.99/yard, totaling $8), some velcro, elastic and thread ($5 for all three).
I also found fabric for my witch costume ($4), green striped tights ($5), and a hat (tiny tear = damaged = 75% off = $1.30 = BARGAIN!). So I left the fabric store with all of our Halloween costume necessities for under $35! WOO GO ME!
Now for the fun part. I woke up at 6:30am on Saturday morning. I tried to sleep but it wasn't happening. I cleaned up the front room so I had a clean workspace - I appologize to my neighbors for vacuuming at 7:30am. Whoops.
I then spent the rest of the day sewing Jack's costume together.
Jack was gone to Dad's for the weekend so I was able to get it all done in one day.


(thanks self timer!)
----
Jack came home Sunday night and I put him in his costume to make sure it fit. He looks so cute! I'm glad it worked out!!!

See the resemblance??

I am going to the party store to find him a chef hat - or at least something to make one out of :)
My mom made all of our costumes when we were growing up (and we had some cool ones!). So I went to the craft store on Friday night and looked at patterns. I had three options.
The easiest: He could wear a grey sweatsuit and have a tail, ears and mask and carry a wooden spoon. This plan failed when I couldn't find a mask, and I remembered that Jack would just throw the spoon (proof to follow).
The second great idea: Make him Batman. There was a complete toddler Batman costume for $20, but Jack had asked to be Mouse from Mouse Movie.
The final plan: I found the pattern for a mouse ($10). With simple alterations, I could make Jack the rat costume he wanted. So I got grey and pink felt (on sale for $2.99/yard, totaling $8), some velcro, elastic and thread ($5 for all three).
I also found fabric for my witch costume ($4), green striped tights ($5), and a hat (tiny tear = damaged = 75% off = $1.30 = BARGAIN!). So I left the fabric store with all of our Halloween costume necessities for under $35! WOO GO ME!
Now for the fun part. I woke up at 6:30am on Saturday morning. I tried to sleep but it wasn't happening. I cleaned up the front room so I had a clean workspace - I appologize to my neighbors for vacuuming at 7:30am. Whoops.
I then spent the rest of the day sewing Jack's costume together.
Jack was gone to Dad's for the weekend so I was able to get it all done in one day.
(thanks self timer!)
----
Jack came home Sunday night and I put him in his costume to make sure it fit. He looks so cute! I'm glad it worked out!!!
See the resemblance??I am going to the party store to find him a chef hat - or at least something to make one out of :)
No comments:
Post a Comment